for the (thankfully) short time i was pregnant, i asked my boyfriend to refer to it as "in need of an abortion," lol. sorry, that's not helpful.
This made me angry, sad, and left me in shock. But after fuming for a bit I turned to a brother who speaks passionately on this topic, one whom I respect much for it - John Piper. In one of his articles he gives 10 Reasons Why It Is Wrong To Take the Life of Unborn Children.
- God commanded, "Thou shalt not murder" (Exodus 20:13)
- The destruction of conceived human life - whether embryonic, fetal, or viable - is an assault on the unique person-forming work of God.
- Aborting unborn humans falls under the repeated Biblical ban against "shedding innocent blood."
- The Bible frequently expresses the high priority God puts on the protection and provision and vindication of the weakest and most helpless and most victimized members of the community.
- By judging difficult and even tragic human life as a worse evil than taking life, abortionists contradict the widespread Biblical teaching that God loves to show his gracous power through suffering and not just by helping people avoid suffering.
- It is a sin of presumption to justify abortion by taking comfort in the fact that all these little children will go to heaven or even be given full adult life in the resurrection.
- The Bible commands us to rescue our neighbor who is being unjustly led away to death.
- Aborting unborn children falls under Jesus' rebuke of those who spurned children as inconvenient and unworthy of the Savior's attention.
- It is the right of God the Maker to give and to take human life. It is not our individual right to make this choice.
- Finally, saving faith in Jesus Christ brings forgiveness of sins and cleansing of conscience and help through life and hope for eternity. Surrounded by such omnipotent love, every follower of Jesus is free from the greed and fear that might lure a person to forsake these truths in order to gain money or avoid reproach.
He hits the nail square on the head. What happened to courage? To standing up for what is right, what is true? Family, let us pray fervently and love the world in another way. The abortion war is not primarily about the women, not fundamentally about the unborn child, but it has everything to do with the glory of God!
John Piper comments on the supremacy of Christ and the issue of abortion. Be encouraged.
"I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works,
And my soul knows it very well."